A Decade of Sifting

Ten years ago, I was a free-spirited 23-year-old girl. During this same season, I stood at the gate of a new decade seeking for direction. I was scared, anxious, and unsure... but one thing was certain, I knew in my heart that I could no longer stay where I was, I wanted change.

So I entered 2010 filled with new hopes and new dreams. My heart was pounding, my feet were cold as I made major decisions after major decions. I closed my eyes, clenched my fists and took risks. I left a long term relationship, I resigned from my job, and during that same year, got married to a person I hardly knew.

If I was reckless or if I was too brave, I wasn't sure. Back then, I thought that I was doing the right thing, based on what I felt was right. Well, something right did came out of it, because in the midst of my reckless bravery, Jesus found me... or should I say, Jesus had been waiting for me all along. And so for the first time in 23 years,  I started living with Jesus as the compass of my life.

If I would describe this last decade in one word, for me, it was a decade of SIFTING. It was a decade of God removing the sources of my false identity one by one. God placed me in a long season of waiting until I found my contentment in Him alone. God emptied my hands so I will never have anything to boast about but Him and what He's been doing in my life. God placed me in a position of powerlessness so I could realize that my strength and power is on my knees. God placed me in a position of hoplessness so I could learn to stand in His Word, His Promises as my only source of hope. And just when I thought that I was loosing a huge part of who I am, God made me realize that through this process of sifting, and pruning, He was restoring me into the person that He created me to be. 

The journey has been both painful and beautiful... and it's far from over. So now, as I once again stand at the gate of a new decade, yes, I am still unsure of what's going to happen, but I'm no longer anxious or afraid. I can still be recklessly brave, but this time, not just out of my feelings and blind excitement, but because I now know that I have a God who loves me. A God who has a great plan and purpose for my life. A God who will lead me to the right path one step at a time.. and should I make a mistake or a wrong turn, I have a God who will lead me back and use even my mistakes to mold me into the woman that He created me to be.

I don't know what this new decade holds for me, but I know that God has a great 2020 vision (and beyond) for my life! It is safe to be recklessly brave and obedient!

Have a blessed New Decade to you and your family!

Me 10 years ago

Recklessly brave at 23

Comments

Popular Posts