Who is Like Our God? (Shiloh's Birth Story)

My pregnancy with Shiloh has been smoother and easier. Everything went well during the whole 9 months with lesser treatment, lesser medications, and fewer check ups compared when I was pregnant with Shiko. I've been expressing my desire to give birth via VBAC this time, and my OB/Perinat was supportive of this since everything was looking good with me and Shiloh.

On my 37th week, my OB advised that we could wait until the 39th week for me to go on spontaneous labor as long as there is no complication. She told me, however, that I need to hydrate more because my amniotic fluid is nearing the borderline. During the next few days, I doubled time on drinking more water night and day. I was really hoping that my amniotic fluid would show an increase on the next check up, but the opposite happened.

During my 37th wk and 5days ultrasound, my AFI was already down to 4cm. At around 7pm, my OB ordered for an emergency CS, but since I just drank water a few minutes ago, we had to wait until the following morning. I was admitted at the HRPU the whole night for close monitoring of baby's condition.

I felt a little sad that my desire to have a VBAC was not going to happen, but Shiloh's safety was more important. We've been praying for God to give wisdom to Dra. Guinto and that her decisions would align to His will, thinking about this gave me relief. I hardly slept that night at HRPU. I was excited to think that I was going to finally hold baby Shiloh in the morning, but at the same time, I've been missing my quality time with Shiko who was just outside also waiting to see his baby brother.

At 7am I was sent to the operating room for prep. I could remember how uncomplicated it was during my CS operation with Shiko. Everything went well, and I was expecting the same thing to happen this time. However, the moment the needle hit my spine, I immediately felt heaviness in my breathing. I did not remember this happening during my first CS operation, so I felt a bit scared but tried to remain calm and waited for my breathing to get better. At just the same time, I felt that my head, face, and shoulders were itching. Later on, the anesthesiologist asked, "Mommy, nangangati ka ba?" "Mommy, nahihirapan ka ba huminga?" I answered yes to both, and he said, "Nagpapantal ka po sa mukha mukha mommy." "Doc, (referring to my OB) nagpapantal sya." Doc Guinto who already started the operation looked at me, and said "Ay, oo nga." I realized that I was having an allergic reaction.  I got really scared that I started crying. I was there lying with one arm attached to the VS monitoring machine, and the other with my IV line. My body cut open, my baby still inside, and I couldn't breathe. Never in my life had I felt so helpless, what else could possibly go wrong.


Few minutes later, I saw Mike beside me. He whispered to me that he was there and that he was praying for me. I heard the anesthesiologist explained to him what was happening. They were unsure if the cause of my allergic reaction was the spinal anesthesia, the morphine, or the antibiotic. I was too weak to talk, I was just staring at Mike while tears continued to flow from my eyes. I saw Mike crying too. 

The anesthesiologist gave doses of anti-histamine, which helped with my breathing for a while. When Doc Guinto announced that the baby was about to come out, I felt worse as my diaphragm was being compressed while they were pulling baby Shiloh out. I was gasping for air, trying to breathe on my mouth, I thought I was going to die. At 8:11am, Doc Guinto announced that the baby was finally out. When I heard baby Shiloh's cry, I felt relieved. Whatever happens, my baby was safe, and that was all that mattered to me.

I was regaining my breathe slowly, but still feeling groggy because of the effect of the anti-histamine when they placed baby Shiloh on my breast for our "unang yakap". I bursted in tears. I just knew that God has been there with me all along. Just looking at this baby on my chest assured me that He never left my side. As I was resting and recovering, Mike, in tears, told me, "Magsama pa tayo ng matagal ha... Wag mo na kong papaiyakin." I knew that this was God's way of telling me that He will never leave me and I'll never face anything in this life alone.

God reminded me of His Word in Exodus 33:14 few days before I gave birth, "My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest." ... During the time when I was struggling to understand what was happening, I held on to this promise. Indeed, the promise of God's presence doesn't mean that everything will be smooth and easy. His promise is perfect peace to those whose mind are fixed on Him no matter how the situation looks like.

April 16, 2019 -- our second baby, Kendrick Shiloh Mishael T. Eugenio was born.










KENDRICK - Royal Ruler, Champion
SHILOH - A place in the Bible where Hannah prayed to have children. The name Shiloh means "Peace".
MISHAEL - Combination of Misce + Michael. Mishael is a biblical name meaning: "Who is Like Our God?"





Comments

Popular Posts