My Daily Quiet Time

The best way to know someone is by spending more time with him. This is true even with our relationship with God. The best way to hear God's voice is to be familiar with it, we become more familiar with it as we spend more time listening to Him through His Word.

It's been a year since I took my daily devotion and quiet time seriously. My quiet time with God is very precious to me because this has brought my relationship with Him to a much deeper level. Our God is a very personal God and He wants to communicate with us in a way that works for us, in a way that we will truly enjoy our time with Him and not just do it out of routine or obligation. Today, I'd love to share how my intimate time with God looks like. Hope these help set up your quiet time too! :)


1. CHOOSE THE BEST TIME TO DO IT - I choose a particular time of the day when my mind is alert and I am not in a rush. I used to do my quiet time in the late afternoon (since I am not a morning person & I am usually alone at home); however, there were days when I get caught up with the busyness of my chores and I find myself physically and mentally exhausted, sometimes already distracted with the noise of the world (particularly the Social Media). Because of the that I asked the Lord's Grace to help me do my quiet time first thing in the morning so that I can start my day with Him (while it's still quiet), getting myself ready for the whole day of battle. Taking a bath first helps a lot as it helps me become fully awake! Also, I wake up at least an hour ahead of my husband to make sure I don't feel rushed.

2. PREPARE A TREAT FOR YOURSELF - A cup of coffee, hot chocolate or juice. Cookies, bread, or some fruits. Whatever is available! It just makes me feel like I am having a hot chocolate session with God when I do this. :)

3. START WITH SOME WORSHIP MUSIC - It feels great to start the day praising and worshiping God for who He is. When I do this, I'm reminded of Who I am meeting with -- The Creator of the heavens and the earth, my Master, Lord, and King.

4. PRAY - This is the time when I speak to Him. Thank Him for a brand new day, a brand new life. For all He's done. Repent of my sins, pour out my heart to Him -- my worries, fears, confusion. Ask for my needs most especially for His grace to get me through another day, surrender my entire day to Him (especially my submission & respect to my husband), and acknowledge that I cannot do anything apart from Him. It's amazing that we can talk to God about anything! I love that I can laugh with Him, cry with Him, share my deepest hurts with Him and know that He understands! He loves it when we speak to Him and let Him be involved with our lives!

5. READ & STUDY THE BIBLE - This is how God speaks to us. In my next post, I will be sharing what I've learned about the proper way to Approach God's Word in order to hear from Him more clearly. More than reading the Bible, I strongly suggest studying it. The best way to know Him and discover how much He loves us is by studying and meditating His Word.

Not sure where to start? I invite you to join us at #SheReadsTruth. It's an online community for women all over the world who wants to know God more through reading and studying His Word daily (and together!). There are also a lot of ways that you can do to study the Bible. I love reading and comparing different translations it helps me understand the Scripture more. There are many apps and websites that you can use to read different Bible translations some of them are Biblia.com and the YouVersion app. Another way to that I do to help me with my study is to search and read commentaries.

Color coding my Bible markings also helps me to interact more with God's Word. There's no standard way in choosing the colors, again, whatever makes you feel more personal in doing your study, just go ahead and do it. Here's an example from my Bible:


Purple - God's Character
Green - Commands / Call to Action
Blue - Promises
Pink - All others not covered by other colors

There are also other devotional books that you can use depending on your preference. Right now I am also reading and enjoying the Jesus Calling Devotional by Sarah Young. Whichever devotional material you choose, what's important is that you spend time in the Word of God and let your heart and mind be ready to listen to Him.

6. WRITE A JOURNAL - I write what God has been teaching me during my quiet time. I write and re-write the verses that struck me. I write just how I feel at the moment. This also helps me in memorizing it and in letting the Truth sink in to me. I write my journal because I never want to forget every single step of my journey with God. I love going back to my old notes and see how far the Lord has brought me, and I would love my future children and grandchildren to read them too -- How good the Lord has been to me!  

I enjoy doodling, coloring, lettering, and designing my journal pages because it's fun! Spending time with God is fun! I share it to the world because I want other people to know that knowing God and being intimate with Him is fun and enjoyable! I share it because it was through other people sharing their journal pages that I became interested to start doing it too! Whatever gift it is that you have, it is from God! And He loves it when we use them especially for Him! If you love music, sing or play the guitar with Him. If you love painting, paint with Him! There is no greater feeling than being in His presence and enjoying the gifts that He has given us!


If you have not yet started a daily quiet time with God, start now! He wants to have a personal relationship with you! He wants to listen to you, speak to you and make you feel how much He loves you! :)

God's Word is better than a diamond,
better than a diamond set between emeralds.
You'll like it better than strawberries in spring,
better than red, ripe strawberries.
- Psalm 19:10 [MSG]

Comments

Popular Posts