Shiko's DIY Cake Smash Shoot

Two months ago, in preparation for Shiko's 1st Birthday and Dedication, I planned to use a cake smash photo for his poster invitation. Husband and I didn't want to spend money for a professional photoshoot so we decided that we were going to DIY this project.

Our family volunteered to help us make this project possible. My sister-in-law offered to bake Shiko's smash cake. I really appreciate her effort since she had to research and test recipes with ingredients that were approved by our pedia. Since Shiko was only 10mos and 3weeks at the time of our shoot, the cake should be non-dairy, and with no egg, and sugar. I chose a rainbow dripping cake design to compliment Shiko's party theme, and my sister-in-law was able to pull it off. Shiko's smash cake was already baked and ready a day before the shoot.


At almost 12 midnight, my SIL, sent me a viber message telling me that there was an ingredient that we forgot to consult with Shiko's pedia -- the food coloring! Since both of us were not at ease to let Shiko eat the food coloring, we needed a last minute change of plan. We decided to use fruit toppings instead of the food colored frosting.

She woke up early the following morning to bake a new base cake, while my husband together with my mother and brother in law went to the grocery to buy some fruits. She gave me a new cake with a plain white frosting, and allowed me to design the fruit toppings. We tried to still follow the rainbow colors so we used watermelon (since there was no strawberries available), kiwi, and mango. I wasn't able to include the bananas because of lack of space. :)



The cake was ready! But we had to wait for my others sisters in law who were going to do the background set up. It was already past 3pm and it looked like it was going to rain so I was worried that we wouldn't be able to maximize the natural lighting from our window. My cousin who brought the DSLR camera that we were going to use was also with them.

When they finally arrived, we had to rush with the set up. They pumped the balloons, and arranged the lanterns that my mom bought from divisoria. We also created a diy reflector using aluminum foil. When we were all set and ready, I had to play around with the setting of the DSLR camera to find out which one will work. I am not a professional camera user so it took a while for me to find the best setting. I tried taking pictures using my husband's phone too, and it also worked well, but of course, the shutter speed of the DSLR camera was more reliable.



At last! Baby Shiko was ready to devour  his cake! :) His first pick was an easy choice -- watermelon! He enjoyed eating the fruits first before he realized that the frosting was also edible! Later on, he ate chunks of the cake too! Since he is a BLW baby, he knows just the right size that he can handle. He would sometimes bite a huge chunk and spit it out, then bite a smaller one instead. I'm so proud of him!




All of us enjoyed the session! It was so fun watching him enjoy playing and eating his cake! The mess was all worth it! Shiko went straight to his mini bath tub after the shoot. Husband took charge of the after care.

 It was indeed a memorable milestone in Baby Shiko's life! I can't believe he is turning one year old in less than a month! Here are some of the output from the shoot (edited via Photoshop and Photo Director):


PHONE SHOTS








SLR SHOTS












THE CREW :)



SHIKO'S INVITATION POSTER

Comments

Popular Posts