Our First Informal Homeschooling Year

Informal, because no formal instruction is really required at Shiko's age (3yrs and 3mos when we started) and we aren't enrolled to a Homeschool Provider yet. It all started when earlier this year, Shiko has been so fond of stories. He would ask me to tell him stories during our playtime and before going to sleep. I ran out of my own stories and I realized that we need to buy some good books to feed his appetite. After asking around and doing some research, we decided to purchase the Sonlight Preschool Curriculum.




Sonlight Preschool is a box of picture books appropriate for kids ages 3-4yo. Since I didn't grow up exposed to a wide variety of children's literature, it helped that the books in this box were carefully curated to provide children with good and noble ideas. I didn't expect that I myself would also enjoy reading the stories, it made our read-aloud times a delightful experience to me and not a burden even when they ask me to read the same stories over and over again. I found this quote by C.S Lewis to be true:

"A children's story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children's story in the slightest." -- C.S Lewis

I am blessed that I am now able to enjoy my second childhood by reading good children's books and sharing these moments with my children. When I ask Shiko what is his favorite book from Sonlight, he could not pick just one. He said that he enjoys our morning devotions using the Family-Time Bible in Pictures by Kenneth Taylor. I personally love this children's Bible too because of how the stories were retold for younger kids and how the discussion questions also lead to meaningful conversations. I most especially love that the illustrations are so beautiful and not "cartoonized". 




Some of the stories that he repeatedly asks during night time read-alouds are Katy and The Big Snow, The Little House, and Maybelle by Virginia Lee Burton. We also love A Time of Wonder and Blueberries For Sal by Robert McCloskey, Harold and The Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson, Caps For Sale and Fairy Tale Stories like The Little Tin Soldier, Three Little Pigs, The Little Red Hen, and The Gingerbread Man. Even Shiloh (20mos), has his own favorites: From Head To Toe by Eric Carle, George Shrinks by William Joyce, Leo The Late Bloomer, Goldilocks and The Three Bears and Our Animal Friends at Maple Hill Farm. He would also ask me to play the guitar and sing while he dances his favorite nursery rhymes from the WeeSing Booklet. 






This year, we were also able to read and finish our first chapter book: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe by C.S Lewis. I was surprised when Shiko asked me to read this to him because this is way above what he could comprehend at his age. But we both enjoyed it, though I had a lot of explaining to do since he doesn't have much life experiences yet to draw his imagination from (I had to explain what's a wardrobe, or a throne or a sleigh and other simple stuffs like that). We've had great conversations during the time when we were reading this book, and I'm excited to read this again to him and Shiloh when they're older. The other day he told me, "Mommy, mag ssacrifice din ako para kay Shiloh, kase si Aslan nag-sacrifice sya para kay Edmund di ba?" My mommy-teacher heart was so happy that this lesson stuck with him (even after 2 mos since we've finished the book)! It always make me happy when he suddenly mentions a book that we've read and relate it to a random conversation or situation.

Reading The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe

Along the way, we also started Masterbooks' Stepping Stones since Shiko has been asking for some "hands-on" school stuff on top of our read-alouds. Stepping Stones is a very gentle developmental-based preschool curriculum. 



To be honest, Shiko already knows most of the lessons in the workbook (because kids learn best through play, right?), but going through the workbook got us into the habit and rhythm of "school-time" after breakfast. Shiko (and even Shiloh) looks forward to it everyday. 








The curiculum is designed to be done 3x a week for 36 weeks, but Shiko asks for it everyday so were able to finish it earlier. One lesson could be finished in just 5-10mins, most of the time (it depends if Shiloh is not ruining our homeschool space) 😂. There were also days when Shiko didn't want to do the activity for the day, and that's okay too. Free play is still more important at his age. My favorite part about Stepping Stones is getting Shiko into the habit of memorizing Bible verses. We studied one Bible Hero every stone and memorized verses related to the story of the character. By the end of the book Shiko was able to memorize 40 verses, I didn't expect that he was ready for it when we started, but he did it, and I'm so proud of him!

Done with Six Milestones!

This year, I discovered that Shiko is an auditory learner. He could sit still for hours listening to audio books. He could also easily pick up tunes and memorize lyrics of songs. He is musically inclined and loves composing his own songs too. He always tells us that he dreams to be a worship leader some day. 



This is one the many things that I'm starting to love about homeschooling. Being in the front row seat to watch my children's milestones, being there to see their faces light up when they discover new things, being the first one to compliment them of their accomplishments, to encourage them when they share their sadness and fears... and to be there all the time to listen to their deepest thoughts, passions, and dreams. I know that we are just starting, and there will be challenging years ahead, but I'll never trade this privilege for anything -- the privilege to be used by God as an instrument to prepare, sharpen, and wield these arrows so one day can create a huge impact for God's glory in their generation.

So excited for our Pre-K year!  :)


Here's a video of Shiko's Bible verses f4om Stepping Stones




Comments

Popular Posts