A Child-Like Faith

Wanton, Xiao long bao, Spaghetti, Muffins... and to wear a "Mighty Shiko" costume. These were his special requests for his 4th birthday and he's been telling us about them weeks before. This was the first time that I saw him very excited about his birthday. He wasn't like this when were planning for his birthday parties in the past. He is really growing to choose his own preferences now.

His Daddy thought of using this chance to test him again. As much as we want to give him everything that he was asking for, we felt that this was the perfect chance for us to teach him  lessons about gratitude and contentment. Mike and I both agree that we do not want our kids to grow up with an entitlement mindset.

Weeks before, Mike would often ask him, "Paano kung century tuna lang ang handa nten sa bday mo? Wala pa kase tayong money. Ano ma ffeel mo?" There was an instance when he cried so much and honestly poured out his heart. While sobbing, he ask if he could pray and ask God for a miracle. We told him that of course he can. He then started praying for it during our morning devotions, and during bedtime prayers. He prayed every single day and he was very specific about it.

He had no idea that we were already preparing a surprise for him. Daddy already bought him a costume, and Mammu and Auntie Ninang were already preparing the decorations, and baking his birthday cake.

On the day of his birthday, we told him that we were going to Mammu's house. Daddy said, "Sorry anak ha, wala kang handa. Bawi nalang sa next birthday mo." We were surprised by his answer, "Ok lang po. Sad, pero grateful pa din kse meron tayong Christmas Tree. Pero nag-pray ako kay LORD eh, hintayin natin yung miracle!" 

I was inspired by his response. He's been praying all week so he was expecting that God was going to do something. In his mind, regardless what his Daddy tells him, ultimately, it is God who will answer his prayers! It reminded me of some moments in my life when I would pray to God, but give up hoping when I see that things doesn't look like it's going to happen. Or when I get disappointed because I rely on people instead of solely relying on God. There were also times when I would feel grumpy when I don't see God making a move despite my endless prayers, not realizing that He is already working behind the scenes, either to answer my prayer, or to give me something better while He is also testing my character and refining my faith in the process. 

Shiko's faith strucked me --- HE WAS BOLD ENOUGH TO ASK, AND HE WAS EXPECTANT ENOUGH TO WAIT! But he was also honest, content, and grateful. He puts his trust on who God is, and on what He can do.

No wonder why the faith of little children is so precious and beautiful to God.

"And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." - Matthew 18:3 

When we got to Mammu's house, Shiko saw everything that we've prepared for him. He was very happy and was confidently saying, "Answered Prayer! Sabe sa inyo may miracle si LORD eh!" He knows to whom the credit belongs. All the food that he requested was there, the decors, the cake, and the costume. I know that it has been a memorable day for him. But what was really unforgettable to him was how God answered his prayer. 

Weeks after his birthday, he was asking his Daddy (who was about to celebrate his birthday too), "Daddy, anong gusto mong handa sa birthday mo?" His Daddy told him, "Wala anak eh." He was bold and with full conviction told his Daddy, "Mag pray ka Daddy! Mag-mmiracle si LORD! Basta mag pray ka lang!" 

May he live with this kind of faith throughout his life.









Comments

Popular Posts